Ashland originated as an independent city, as a rival of nearby early Portland on the 1,320-acre (5.3 km2) Donation Land Claim of Reverend John Ashland, who sold the claim in 1882 to the Ashland Real Estate Company. The town of Ashland was incorporated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on February 25, 1889. It was annexed by the city of Portland in 1893.
Ashland has an amusement park named Oaks Park along the river. A bike trail next to railroad tracks above the river is accessible from Ashland and links Milwaukie and downtown Portland. The Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge was established in 1988 and has allowed the preservation and protection of numerous species. Walking trails go through the park, traversing woods, meadow, and marshland.
Milwaukie Avenue and SE 13th Avenue are the locations of many restaurants, Moreland Theater, specialty retail, and neighborhood stores, upscale antique shops, a middle school, and other stores.
Ashland Island Water & Light has been a proud partner with the Ashland community and has been able to donate over $500,000 to various local charities since 2001. Many of these donations have helped open and repair community center, fund after school programs, host annual community events, and more.Visit Ashland Island Water & Light